Join Our Team Cellar Door Manager
A key role within our small team, we are looking for an experienced person to be responsible for the efficient management of our beautiful Winery Cellar Door and assist with guest experiences in our luxury accommodation cabins.
POSITION VACANT: CELLAR DOOR & ACCOMMODATION
Matawhero Wines is a family-owned boutique Gisborne based wine producer. As the face to our brand we pride ourselves on creating a relaxed yet stylish experience at our Winery Cellar Door for our customers. We are passionate about our wines and need to convey this to our visitors. With the addition of accommodation to the Cellar Door we need to ensure that the consumer experience is 5 star!
We are seeking a full-time person (35 hours per week) but are open to the possibility of something Part-time (with a minimum of 25 hours) for the right candidate.
We are looking for you to come on board with a love of hospitality, proven sales, customer service and staff management experience. Although good wine knowledge is desirable, more emphasis will be placed upon organisational skills, customer service, sales ability and staff management skills. The ability to multitask is also essential. The ideal candidate will also have completed their LCQ accreditation and have a Manager’s Certificate to run a licensed premise.
Due to the nature of the business, weekend work is essential and weekly rosters will include 2 weekends a month. No holidays are allowed from 27th December until 10th January each year.
Key tasks include: JOB DESCRIPTION
Cellar Door Tasks
- Manage and execute the Cellar Door strategy in line with the company’s vision.
- Ensure all employees adhere to Workplace Health and Safety policies and provide training where necessary.
- Responsible for the delivery of prompt and courteous service to customers in the cellar door.
- Training, development and mentoring of the Cellar Door host team to increase wine and sales knowledge.
- Develop a culture of exceptional customer service and engagement within the cellar door.
- Manage any external group visits to the cellar door, premium tastings etc.
- Conduct wine tastings whilst always promoting responsible service of alcohol
- Promote and assist with food preparation and service in the Café area.
- Opening and closing of the cellar door and making sure all of the correct procedures are followed whilst doing so, including ensuring that the premises is secure before leaving the area.
- Daily cash-ups from the till system and prepare and do the banking, petty cash and change when on duty.
- Maintaining stock levels in the cellar door from the stock holding area.
- Assist in weekly stock takes.
- Create and maintain an attractively merchandised and presented cellar door that respect and further show case the brand
- Ensuring that all areas are kept at a high level of cleanliness and presentation, which include cleaning of the café area and the dishes used within the café. Polishing the tasting glasses and keeping the tasting area clean and tidy at all times.
- Development of systems and processes to enable the streamlined running of the Cellar Door and Accommodation.
- Manage bookings and guest check-in when administration manager is away.
- Development of guest experience in line with our policies and procedures.
- Assist with marketing and promotion of our accommodation offering.
Other General Task
- Managing database – getting customers to sign up and ensuring this is keep up to date.
- Facebook marketing if required.
- Database marketing through mailchimp/klaviyo.
- Health and Safety administration.
Key skills & attributes include:
- Love of hospitality, proven sales, customer service and staff management experience.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to multitask
- Positive, friendly and helpful attitude with all customers, suppliers and colleagues. If you believe that you have the attributes required to fill these requirements, we would love to hear from you!
Applications close on Friday January 27th 2023.
Please email your CV and covering letter to
Only people eligible to work in this country should apply for this position. Please provide evidence of your work visa or citizenship.